Since its original publication in 1998 by Avalon Hill, For the People has a rich play history and many strategies have been developed. The current version published by GMT Games 2006 is the version we use for tournament play. Although a few of these articles (*’ed below) refer to the Avalon Hill version, much of the core strategy concepts still apply. I look forward to hearing from players about new strategies and variants to make play more exciting and fun.
The following articles give insight into the game from a play and design perspective. If you are unfamiliar with the game, I encourage you to look through these articles.
- Confederate Strategy in For the People* by Steve Bucey, 1998.
- Union Strategy in For the People* by Steve Bucey, 1998.
- For the People: Enabling History* by Mark Herman, 1998.
- Union Campaign Game Strategy in “For The People*” by Mark Herman, 1999.
- A View from the White House: The Eastern Theater of Operations in For The People* by Mark Herman, 1999.
IMPORTANT – The above five articles were written for the original Avalon Hill Edition and many rules have changed, so some concepts and specific recommendations presented in the above articles are no longer legal. The GMT 2006 rules edition is the current edition of the rules that is use for this tournament.
*’ed articles were written based on the Avalon Hill version of For the People and some play mechanics have changed: notably general counter values, placement, rules for revealing generals, fort limitations on river crossing, and disallowing CSA raids of Union controlled border states
- Capital Offense by Mark Herman in C3I magazine, #13, 2001.
- My Theory behind Card Driven Games by Mark Herman, C3I, Issue #17, 2005.
- Opening Theory by Mark Herman, C3I Issue #19, 2007.
The following three articles are not currently available online, but have been published in
GMT’s C3I #26 magazine (Click here for more information)
- For the People – Defending the Union by Dave Dockter & Mark Herman, C3I Issue #26, 2012.
- For the People – Designer’s Perspective on Raids by Mark Herman,C3I Issue #26, 2012.
- For the People – My Union Strategy Tips by James Pei, C3I Issue #26, 2012.
Variants (Not for use in the tournament)
Note the following article is not currently available online, but have been published in
GMT’s C3i Magazine #23 (Click here for more information)
- 10th Anniversary Variant Rules (Naval and Logistics) by Mark Herman.